Hello everyone, this is Naoki Kitora, Chief Technology Officer at HACARUS.
As CTO, I have had the opportunity to meet many people during the recruitment process and explain our company to them, and I am very grateful for this experience.
In this article, I would like to explain a little about the current development environment at HACARUS and about what we are currently working on.
A Short Recap – The Business of HACARUS
HACARUS is a Kyoto-based startup that excels in machine learning and AI. Founded in 2014 as a healthcare app developing company, we used IoT and other technologies. Back then, we also tried crowdfunding on Mukuake for our products.
Since then, we have been developing products using machine learning technology. We also realized that we could use our technology and strengths to solve problems for companies in the medical and industrial fields. Committing to these fields, we are developing AI and providing data analysis based on sparse modeling for areas such as medicine, drug discovery, infrastructure, and manufacturing.
Fundraising results, etc.
HACARUS has raised funds not only from VCs but also from business companies to create partnerships for business development. In the field of medicine and drug discovery, there is a lot of data that is not easily available. This information also needs to be handled with the utmost care. Using the funding raised, we are hoping to accelerate solution development in these areas through collaborations.
HACARUS’ Development Environment
For software engineers
- Python 3.x
- FastAPI / Flask / SQLAlchemy
- Swift (for iOS)
- Kotlin / Java (for Android)
- Vue.js / ReactJS (for frontend)
Typically, we have been using ReactJS for the front-end at HACARUS. However, we’ve recently been using vue.js for lighter projects. Our staff is also very passionate about Python and many of our employees regularly speak at PyCon and other similar events. At HACARUS, Python serves as the common language between our engineers and data scientists.
For Data scientists
- Python 3.x
- pandas / NumPy / SciPy / scikit-learn / scikit-image / seaborn / OpenCV / spm-image (self-developed OSS) Jupyter
We also perform our data analysis using a mix of Python and Jupyter. I often use other OSS in combination with these or create my own depending on the content of the project.
For embedded engineers
- C / C++ / C#
- Xilinx SDx
- Xilinx’s FPGA integrated development environment
- OpenWRT Linux / Alpine Linux / Ubuntu (for embedded environments)
We try to run Python on Docker as long as the environment can run Linux. For FPGAs, the code is written in C and C++ and high-level synthesis is performed using SDx. When working with customers in the manufacturing sector, it is not uncommon to receive requests for development using the Windows .NET framework and C#. We also sometimes implement the code in C++, especially when execution speed is a priority.
Service platforms and infrastructure
- ELB / EC2 / CloudFront / S3 / Route53 / CloudWatch / SES / ElastiCache / RDS (PostgreSQL / MySQL) / Lambda / SageMaker
- Google Meet & Zoom
About HACARUS’ Development Departments
- The product team is led by CPO (Chief Product Officer) Rio Onishi.
- This team has been active since the second half of 2021.
- They are tasked with promoting speedy product development, quality control, and quality improvement.
Joint Development Team
- In this team, we combine data scientists and application developers in the Philippines to form teams based on the issues of each client.
- The data scientists are in charge of interviewing the client, building models using machine learning, and their operation.
- The application developers are in charge of developing SaaS-type web applications and mobile applications. They also operate the server infrastructure.
- These members are also in charge of collaboration projects with various pharmaceutical companies and university hospitals.
- The R&D department is comprised of engineers at the Tokyo R&D center.
- In addition to R&D activities in AI drug discovery and MI, we also provide support for product and joint development.
- Currently, we are getting advice from several advisors.
- Advisors include Professor Ozeki of Tohoku University, Professor Kawamoto of Shiga University, and Professor Oki of Kyoto University.
HACARUS’ Focus on Innovative Technologies
At HACARUS, we are focusing on the following two points.
- Development of AI-based products in the medical, infrastructure, and manufacturing fields.
- Improving productivity and improving processes by introducing DevOps, MLOps, and more.
Moving forward, we are focusing on the development of our own products based on the knowledge and know-how we have gained through our past projects. We are working to improve productivity in terms of how to achieve high-quality output using less input in joint research and development projects.
HACARUS’ Goals for this Year’s Recruitment Efforts
In order to promote product development, we are aiming to hire engineers who can help support us. Specifically, we are looking for applicants who are responsible for product quality control.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!